Babcock and Wilcox is a leading company which provides advanced technology and high quality products to the defense industry and commercial nuclear customers.
AS degree preferred
Devises and develops new inspection methods and procedures. Sets up and performs any and all types of in process and final inspections on any and all products and component parts: which include atomic energy, commercial and special products.
Inspects, accepts or rejects all products and components, fabricated or in process. Inspects the machine setups, surveys work piece, makes necessary corrections and approves same when required. Inspects for tolerance, finish size, proper assembly, code drawing and customer specifications: approving or rejecting the same. Makes sketches, fills out inspection forms (Rapid Response Plan), and advises supervisor as to reason for acceptance or rejection of part. May use any and all types of the following precision measuring instruments including:
• Basic Liquid Penetrant Inspection Process: Prepares surfaces as required by grinding to remove paints, scale, weld spatter, and other surface irregularities; uses solvent to remove grease, oil, tape, tape residue, dirt, etc. Applies penetrant using proper applicators. Removes excess penetrant using shop towels or paper towels. Applies developer using proper applicators. Evaluates test results using proper lighting. Removes penetrant materials and cleans surfaces upon completion of testing, using proper solvents, towels/cloths.
• Basic Magnetic Particle Inspection Process: Prepares surfaces as required by grinding to remove paint, scale, weld spatter, and other surface irregularities, uses solvents to remove, grease, oil, tape, tape residue, paint, dirt, etc. Performs required AC/DC dry or wet test technique using proper equipment and accessories. Evaluates test results using proper lighting. Demagnetizes parts if required. Cleans surfaces upon completion of testing to remove particles using compressed air, shop towels or solvents. Grinds and verifies the removal of prod marks.
• Basic UT Inspection for bond and defect, AFOD and UTBF inspections: Prepare equipment and calibrate to each application, setting up the proper DAC. Prepares the surfaces as required by grinding to remove paints, scale, weld spatter, and other surface irregularities; uses solvent to remove grease, oil, tape, tape residue, dirt, etc.. . Evaluates test results to specified requirements. Cleans surfaces upon completion of testing, using proper solvents, towels/cloths.
• The inspector will maintain the Gage Room, which includes; performing calibration of gauges as required, send gauges to vendor for calibration and record keeping.
• Performs UT and magnet induction testing for thickness as required. Stencils and identifies as required. Makes and checks layouts. Performs incidental duties, as the job requires. Uses all types of precision measuring equipment and gages including Gage Room instruments and computerized Inspection equipment. Refers to code and specification books/material to determine the quality and dimensions of products in accordance with coded markings.